Don’t let the V-word scare you, these collard wraps will make have the ultimate carnivore screaming for more tofu.
preface: do not be overwhelmed by this seemingly lengthy recipe; it’s super simple and doesn’t take as long as it looks.
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick sticks (a little bit thinner than your pinky finger)
- 1 parsnip or white carrot, cut into 1/4-inch-thick sticks
- 7 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch-thick sticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 collard leaves, stems removed thus making an oval shaped leaf
- 2 bundle of dried vermicelli noodles*, cooked per package instructions, drained
- 1 portion of Thai vinaigrette (see below)
- 1 large carrot, julienne (cut into fine match sticks)
- 1 avocado, seeded and peeled, cut into 1/4 inch wedges
- sesame seeds to garnish
Thai vinaigrette for dressing vermicelli noodles:
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fish sauce*
- 1 tsp tom yum paste*
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Peanut sauce for dipping:
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (make sure you’re buying PB made of peanuts and salt only)
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
*available from Asian grocery stores or the specialty aisle of some supermarkets
Prepare the roasted vegetables and tofu: Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Toss the sweet potato, white carrots/parsnip, and tofu (be careful not to break it) in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on a baking tray for 20 minutes, or until vegetables and tofu are lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the collards: Fill a large bowl with lots of ice and water (referred to as an “ice bath”) and set aside. Boil a large pot of water. When water is simmering, add the collards and completely submerge each leaf. Allow to heat in water for less than a minute (the leaves should turn a bright green) and remove and quickly place in the ice water bath. Once cooled, remove from water and pat each leaf dry with paper towel; set aside.
Prepare the Thai vinnaigrette: Place all the ingredients for vinaigrette in a mason jar and shake. Pour over the vermicelli and toss to combine.
Prepare the peanut dipping sauce: Place all ingredients in a mason jar and mix thoroughly.
Assembling the rolls: Rolling these hand rolls is much like rolling up a burrito; there is no “right” way to do it. Place a small amount of each filling in the leaf, then tuck in the sides while rolling the collard leaf up. Once it’s rolled, cut each roll in half and serve with peanut dipping sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds.
makes | 6 rolls