for the french toast:
- 6 eggs (preferably organic/cage free)
- 1/3 cup milk or nut milk
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp powdered cloves
- 6 slices of thick-cut artisan bread
- canola oil
- thick strained yogurt (I used siggi’s pumpkin spice skyr)
for the caramelized apples:
- 2-3 apples, sliced into 1/5 inch slices horizontally
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Beat eggs, milk, pumpkin, and spices until well combined.
2. Soak bread in the egg mix, making sure they get soaked all the way through (leave it to sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, if possible).
3. While bread is soaking, make the caramelized apples: sprinkle freshly cut apples with sugar and a dash of cinnamon on both sides. Heat butter in a pan, and once melted, add apples in one layer. Turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook until apples start to caramelize. Flip, caramelize the other side, and remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Now to make the french toast: preheat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the soaked bread in one layer, cooking until the bottom side is lightly browned (4-5 minutes). Flip, and lightly brown the other side. Remove from heat.
5. Layer french toast slices, yogurt, and caramelized apples. Serve as is, or with a drizzle of maple syrup.
serves | 3