preface: this recipe was inspired by a dire need for cake pops NOT filled with absolute BS (ie. loads of cream cheese, store-bought frosting, and butter). health nuts, enjoy.
- 1/3 loaf of your favorite pumpkin bread or cake recipe
- ~4 tbsp of thick strained yogurt (I used siggi’s coconut)
- toppings: any combo of chocolate (+80% cocoa dark chocolate is best), coconut flakes, dried cranberries etc.
- pop stick
1. Crumble cake into fine crumbs. This can be done in a food processor, or with a fork. Tip: it actually helps if the bread/cake is a little stale.
2. Add yogurt to the crumbs and mix until a dough forms. The dough should be easy to mold into shape and not stick to your hands when rolled. You may need to add more or less yogurt to achieve this, depending how dry the bread/cake was initially.
3. Roll dough into balls of desired size. Chill in the fridge for an hour.
4. Once chilled, they are now ready to decorate. This is up to you on how you decide to do this, but I found that dipping the balls in melted chocolate and decorating with various toppings to be the most aesthetically pleasing. Tip: if your melted chocolate is too thick to work with, try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil.
5. Refrigerate one more time to set the toppings, then insert the pop stick, if desired.
makes | 10-15 pops