Looking for a sweet tooth breakfast, minus the sugar? These banana strawberry breakfast muffins are quick and easy, and contain no added sugar.
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 3 dates, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 medium strawberries, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 360F (180C) and lightly grease 6 cups of a 12-cup muffin tray (coconut or canola oil work best).
2. In a mixing bowl, beat banana, egg, dates, vanilla, and coconut oil. If the coconut oil is slightly lumpy, don’t worry – these muffins are more delicious when rustic and imperfect. Add oats, flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Fold in strawberries, being careful not to over-mix otherwise the strawberries will bleed into the batter.
3. Portion into six cups of a muffin tray and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until muffins spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, or store in an airtight container. They’re perfect to pack for school or bring to work for breakfast on-the-go.
makes | 6 muffins